Leamington Hastings lies within the Parish of Leamington Hastings and comprises the villages/hamlets of Leamington Hastings, Hill, Broadwell and Kites Hardwick and has approximately 400 residents. The closest large towns are Rugby (7 miles) and Leamington Spa (10 miles) with the smaller communities of Dunchurch (4 miles) and Southam (4 mies) offering local shops and doctors’ surgeries.
The village is well known for the concerts held in the beautiful All Saints Church which feature internationally renown musicians and are held throughout the year.
There is an excellent infant school in Leamington Hastings serving the local community for children up to the age of 7. There is a wide choice of Junior schools, which the children move on to at the age of 7-plus, including those at Long Itchington, Southam, Dunchurch, Napton and Stretton on Dunsmore.
Leamington Hastings Young Farmers Club is a very active group who meet regularly and hold events throughout the year.
Links to the above can be found on our Links page
Our Community in photographs
The Alms Houses
All Saints Church
The Beautiful display of snowdrops that decorate our Village every Spring
Within the Parish are various amenities including Broadwell Victory Hall, which is available to hire, Broadwell Methodist Church, the Parish Hall in Hill and the Church of All Saints in Leamington Hastings. Links and contact details are listed on our Contacts page.
History of The Parish of Leamington Hastings
''Glimpses into the History of the Parish of Leamington Hastings''
by Felicity Janet Gilks
"The four small settlements of Leamington Hastings, Hill, Kites Hardwick and Broadwell are all of Saxon or Medieval origin and all are thriving today. Tradition gives Kites Hardwick a Saxon origin since there was reputed to have been a skirmish between the Danes and the Saxons just below Draycote Water in a field now known as Dane Meadow. In documents Leamington Hastings and Hill are the oldest, both being mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.
By the thirteenth century both Hill and Leamington Hastings were held by the Hastang family from whom the Hastings part of the village name is derived. Robert Hastang took the part of the Barons against Henry III at the Siege of Kenilworth in 1265, and the family's lands were confiscated. The estates were restored only after a large fine was paid to the King!
In 1375, on the death of John Hastang, being without a male heir, the lands of Leamington Hastings and Hill passed to his eldest daughter Maud and her husband Ralph Stafford. The Staffords owned Leamington Hastings Manor until 1630, then it changed hands several times until being inherited by Sir Charles Wheeler whose family initiated repairs to the church on the south side and south porch.
In 1796 the Wheeler estates were divided and Leamington Hastings was given to Lucy Wheeler and her husband Edward Sitwell. Some members of the family become vicars of the parish. The family were benefactors, initiating extensive repairs to the chancel and nave in 1873, being instrumental in the building of the elementary school and donating land on which to build the parish hall. The manor remained in their family until the 1920’s."
Click on the images below for the Leam Valley Messenger Newsletter (Oct/Nov 2021):
Click on the images below for the Broadwell Mail (Dec 21-Jan 22)